Tuesday, February 28, 2012

'Twas the Night Before Leap Day


Twas the night before Leap Day and all through the house
Animals were still stirring but hopefully no mouse.
Two of three children were nestled all snug in their beds
While the third watched The River and people scared out of their heads.
Husband on the computer; dog on my lap,
Reviewing this week's schedule makes me want a nap.
Read Across America: a favorite shirt, stuffed animal, hat,
a book, wear green, and book swap. Thank you, Cat in the Hat.
When what to my wondering eyes should appear,
An extra day on the calender, must be leap year.
24 hours or 1440 minutes, take your pick,
but those 86,400 seconds will go by quick.
What to do with an extra day? Maybe play a game?
Watch a movie or something on TV (too lame?)
But what a great holiday! Nothing to buy!
No decorations or cards or white bearded guy.
No candy to give or cake to bake.
No parties to go to or gifts to take.
It doesn't matter your religion, race or region
And it's not even tied to any season.
So take it easy and relax or live it up and have a ball
Because February 29th is just an extra day - for all!
I think I'll just enjoy this day that four years brings,
And not worry how to fill it with many little things.
So I whisper to the kids as I turned out their light,
“Happy Leap Day to all, and to all a Good Night!”

No comments:

Post a Comment